About Me

My photo
Douglas, Alaska, United States
I have lived in Alaska since 1978, having come to Juneau as a Jesuit Volunteer. I fell in love with Alaska and now live on Douglas Island with my husband and two dogs.

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Ad Multos Annos





Today is the Feast of St. Lawrence, Deacon and Martyr.  Legend has it that when he was tortured by being roasted alive, he quipped: "You can turn me over, I'm done on this side"!


Today is also the fifth anniversary of Charles' ordination (along with his brother deacon, Vince).  


Five years ago, Charles lay prostrate on the floor of St. Paul the Apostle Church as we prayed for the the Holy Spirit to strengthen him, and for the saints to intercede for him.






Five years ago, he began this ministry of the proclaiming the Word, serving at the Altar and helping others in Charity.  





Five years ago,  he was transformed from a mild mannered iconographer to a super deacon (he is still mild mannered).





Five years ago.  It seems like yesterday.  A lot has happened since then, but he still remains a servant of God's people.






Happy Anniversary Charles!


  


I love you... 






...and I love being a deacon's wife!

6 comments:

  1. What wonderful memories; what a wonderful tribute to both of you!

    I'm honored to have spent a little time with all of you before the ordination.

    Give my regards to Charles, Vince, your families and to Bishop Burns.

    Ad multos annos!

    Bill Ditewig

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a sweet, wonderful post Paula! Happy anniversary to Charles :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary to your DH. I'm sure your life has been transformed in these past five years. And I'm sure you are a big part of his ministry too.
    I pray for many more blessed years for you both in serving our Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was thinking of Charles very much yesterday. He is definitely my favorite mild mannered deacon as well as iconographer and teacher in that art. Loved seeing these pictures of him. I am sure it changed your life when he was ordained, but for the better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. so sweet, Paula.

    BTW, I "tagged" you in Tuesday's blog post. Check it out and see if you want to participate. It should be fun, I think!

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments - please tell me what you think!