About Me

My photo
Douglas, Alaska, United States
I have lived in Alaska since 1978, having come to Juneau as a Jesuit Volunteer. I fell in love with Alaska and now live on Douglas Island with my husband and two dogs.

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Green

It has been pouring rain here this week.  It does not bode well for the Fourth of July festivities: the fireworks, which are supposed to happen at 11:59 p.m. on July Third, the Juneau and Douglas parades, the events at Savikko Park, Downtown Douglas, and Sandy Beach (races for the kids, sand castle contests, soap box derby, watermelon eating contest, dog frisbee competition, fire hose races, the Douglas Methodist Church deep pit barbecue), and most important, our annual Fourth of July Open Yard!




However, during a visit to the Shrine of St. Therese yesterday, I realized that the torrents of rain that we endure (up to 90 inches a year) are not a curse, but a blessing.  We live in a rain forest, after all!  All the rain is responsible for the intense green that is all around us at this time of year.



Devil's Club


Moss


Blueberries



Ferns


Indian Rhubarb



Evergreens


A mossy arch


A mossy railing


Heart shaped green

A NATURAL GREEN

Who coloured the green trees?
Who coloured the green grass?
Who coloured the green hills?
How about my green spider plant? ?

Green, Green, you are so glorious green...
An abundance of beautiful green, not coloured, but just natural and kind.

Makes me wonder how your creation of green came to life....

A ride on a helicopter over the huge Rain Forest and see nothing, but acres & acres of simply gorgeous green!

Green, Green, you are so glorious green...
An abundance of beautiful green, not coloured, but just natural and kind.

Makes me wonder how your creation of green came to life...

GREEN, I admire and respect the vitality you bring in the air that I breathe...

Premila Patel



3 comments:

  1. I think the green is pretty also I transplanted a bunch into a little garden area I'm trying to get going...Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for continuing to share photos and thoughts from your corner of what looks like paradise.

    Blessed Fourth to you and yours, Paula.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love everything green! And it's so gorgeous there in your neck of the woods! Beautiful stone church too!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments - please tell me what you think!