About Me

My photo
Douglas, Alaska, United States
I have lived in Alaska since 1978, having come to Juneau as a Jesuit Volunteer. I fell in love with Alaska and now live on Douglas Island with my husband and two dogs.

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Garage Sale, Zumba, A Walk in the Woods, The Hot Bite, Dinner and a Movie

This was such a great day!

I went to a garage sale (advertised as a "Community Garage Sale", which usually means lots of people selling lots of stuff, but turned out to be a couple of people selling a few things) at the Dimond Park Field House, where I bought a green corduroy shirt which is a size smaller than I usually wear, but which fit me (hooray!).  I also got a lace valance for my kitchen, which will be a little lighter than the dark blue one I had in there, and a set of sheets for the bed in the guest room/office.

We heard Latin music (not Gregorian Chant, but salsa) coming from the mezzanine, so Jeanie and I went up to explore, and discovered a Zumba demonstration.  Zumba is an exercise method that uses Latin dance music and dance routines.  It's a lot more fun than your average aerobics class, and the instructor had a real body, as opposed to the bionic bodies that most instructors have.  Jeanie and I did the demo and had a lot of fun.  I may take the class...

Then we went for a walk on the new Auke Lake trail, which skirts the lake and goes through the woods.  We kept up a steady chatter to warn the bears we were on our way into their territory.  We didn't see any bears, just fellow walkers and a couple of dogs that looked like bears until they came up and greeted us.

Then off to the Hot Bite, the hamburger/milkshake/fish and chips joint next to Auke Bay.  Then home for a little bit, then back out to the Valley for dinner at The Broiler and a movie (Larry Crowne).

I'm exhausted, but happy to have Jeanie around to play with!  She extended her visit for another couple of weeks!

Here are some pictures from today:




Water lilies




Blueberries - not quite ripe





The view from the trail



A blueberry blossom





We used to imagine that fairies and gnomes lived in these hollow trees!




Flowers at the Hot Bite

It was a perfect day!

5 comments:

  1. So gorgeous!
    I hope I get to see Alaska one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jo - You are welcome to visit any time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your photos are just beautiful!
    So glad your enjoying your company!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure that fairies must be in that log, it's a perfect spot for them. In my past blog posts I have had lots of shots of my fairy guest cottage. If you are interested you could search them out on my search feature. Zumba has come to Homer too but I do enough workouts without adding that too.
    You have all the same plants as Kodiak, a rainforest too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your sweet comment. Looks like a great hike. I love the hollow tree. Really enjoyed the water lily photos.
    Chris :o)

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments - please tell me what you think!