About Me

My photo
Douglas, Alaska, United States
I have lived in Alaska since 1978, having come to Juneau as a Jesuit Volunteer. I fell in love with Alaska and now live on Douglas Island with my husband and two dogs.

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Slings and Arrows (Well, Slings, Anyway)


Full-thickness tear.
Not my shoulder
I went to the orthopedist yesterday (I know, I'm just falling apart, right?) to get the results of my shoulder MRI.  I have a torn rotator cuff, arthritis and some other thing that he described about my collarbone and shoulder bone that all need repair.

So, on December 5th, I will be having surgery.  I thought it was going to be a quick procedure like my knee surgery that I had a few years ago, but no such luck.  It will be a two hour surgery, but fortunately, I won't have to stay overnight in the hospital.  I will be having physical therapy starting three weeks after the surgery and will need to have my arm immobilized in a sling for 6 weeks, with  no reaching or lifting anything.  I'm right handed and of course it is my right shoulder...

Not the best way to get ready for Christmas, but we are downsizing a bit (no Christmas open house this year).

I am so grateful that I have health insurance and that this is all fixable.

I will be glad to have it done as my shoulder has been hurting me for quite a while.

Boo hoo.  Off we go on another medical (but thank God, not serious) adventure.

8 comments:

  1. Prayers for you. My husband, who makes his living with his right shoulder (tv station camera person) tore his badly and recently had surgery.

    Please say a prayer for my Mark, and know that many prayers will be said for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch! I am so sorry to hear this, but the good news is that it is "fixable!" Hey, let the church folks & friends help out with cleaning and cooking, stock up on books, put on a lot of music, and get ready for the easiest Christmas ever! The hardest parts will probably involve bathing and dressing, so I hope that the therapy folks can give you tips on how to cope while it is immobilized. One of those grabber tools helps too, especially for us short people!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I want for Christmas is a new shoulder, a new shoulder, a new shoulder...wait, I don't think that is how the song goes, right? :) Sounds so very painful, but I too am glad they can get you fixed up and quickly, although I know the recovery period will be awhile. Prayers to St. Nick for your prompt healing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry you tore your rotator cuff, but you're right they are very fixable. It's kind of a pain for a few weeks (start practicing brushing your teeth left handed now), but I find my PT patients that follow the doctor's protocol and physical therapy exercises typically do great and have a shoulder that works well and doesn't hurt at the end of it all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bless you Paula. I have had two right shoulder surgeries not as involved as this. They were painful but PT helped a lot. After it was all over my range of motion was nearly normal thankfully and still is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry you are having this problem but it's nice that it will soon be on the mend. It will be difficult for you with the Holidays but I'm sure your family and friends with gather around you and take care of everything that you can't handle.

    You will be in my prayers, my friend. Please keep us updated. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sorry you are having that pain. I sort of hurt mine and I never thought it would heal. I am glad you have insurance.
    I will keep you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ouch! I will be thinking about you and praying for a very quick healing time.

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments - please tell me what you think!