About Me

My photo
Douglas, Alaska, United States
I have lived in Alaska since 1978, having come to Juneau as a Jesuit Volunteer. I fell in love with Alaska and now live on Douglas Island with my husband and two dogs.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Oh, The Dreadful Wind and Rain...

We are having a fall windstorm today - winds to 60 mph with torrential rain.  I drove Phoebe to work and had a hard time holding the car steady against the gusts of wind.

I was grateful to get home to my cozy house, make a fire and have a cup of coffee and a short visit with my friend Therese, who just returned from a bike trip to Romania with a group of women friends, including her sister.

She showed me her pictures, which were great!  One of the best pictures was of the Bank of Transylvania, which she assured me is NOT a blood bank!  She saw the castle of Vlad the Impaler, also known as Dracula.  The countryside was beautiful, and she had a wonderful time!



After she blew out the door, I refreshed the french press and settled down on the couch with my book and some biscuits to go with my coffee.  It was definitely a day to curl up with a good book in front of a nice warm fire, with a little furry friend to keep me company.

I did have to get up when the lights blinked a couple of times to make sure I had a flashlight if the power goes out.  So far, so good, but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if we lose power later tonight - the weather system is supposed to stick around for a couple of days.  I hope we don't get any flooding - the creeks are pretty high and Gastineau Channel is brown with muddy runoff.  We are on high ground, but other folks might have some trouble.


We have to go to a gallery co-op meeting tonight - I wish we could just hunker down and stay home, but we want to be good co-op members, so we'll head out into the weather!

2 comments:

  1. Paula
    That's fall weather for you! So glad you got that cozy fire to warm you and a handy flashlight if needed.
    That Dracula was really on demented dude! I can't imagine visiting where he actually carried out his wickness. I wonder if one can feel the evil at all?
    Maybe the power will go out and they'll cancel your co-op meeting and you can stay home and cozy in after all! Take care-Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kimberly - no such luck! But it was a good meeting, and we stoked up the fire when we got home...

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments - please tell me what you think!