About Me

My photo
Douglas, Alaska, United States
I have lived in Alaska since 1978, having come to Juneau as a Jesuit Volunteer. I fell in love with Alaska and now live on Douglas Island with my husband and two dogs.

Friday, February 25, 2011

Pie

I love making pies!  I made two apple pies the other day, and decided to take some pictures of the process.



I started with eight beautiful apples - I only had seven Granny Smiths, so I used a Braeburn as well.



Charles and I have a debate over which is the best kind of apple peeler.  I prefer the one on the right.



Miguel gave me this fancy apple slicer.  It's pretty clever, but I think I prefer using a paring knife (sorry, Miguel)!


Peeling, peeling,


It's good to put down a newspaper to catch the peelings.  I prefer the Sunday New York Times.  Sometimes I get started reading and get distracted.


Just like apples, under our skins, we are all the same.  Although some of us are more tart than others.


Miguel's slicer in action.



I love the stars at the center of the apples!


Butter, sugar, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, and cloves.


1/2 cup of sugar for each pie.


1 teaspoon of cinnamon for each pie


One half teaspoon nutmeg...


allspice...


and cloves for each pie.  Mix it all up.


Put it all in an unbaked pie shell.  Put a couple of pats of butter on top of the apples...





and cover with the another unbaked pie crust. Trim the edges, cut vents in the top crust
 and crimp the edges.

Brush the top of each pie with milk.




Sprinkle cinnamon and sugar on top of each pie.

Bake the pies at 425 degrees for 1/2 hour and lower the heat to 350 for another 15 minutes.  
I turn the oven off at that point and let the pies cool off in the oven. 



Yum!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to receive comments - please tell me what you think!